My Blog List

Monday, September 7, 2015

Hmm... thoughts from a 4 year old...

Today was just another ordinary day in our household. Fun, games, laughter, bickering and all that good stuff. Well, sometimes, I think my 4 year-old thinks well beyond his almost 5 years on this earth. He asks me, "Are you going to die, mommy?" He has asked me this question before, but it seems to come up every so often. I think it started about a year ago. I really didn't think too much of it and after the first couple times he asked me, I just went with the customary... "oh, probably not until you are old and have a family of your own." It seems as though that this little boy is tackling a big emotional stress that seems to be bothering him quite frequently.

Where did he get this from? Disney animated movies have a lot of death in their story lines. So, quite possibly, he got it from there. He loved Big Hero 6 and watched Frozen a gazillion times with his sister. So, thank you Disney for throwing in some heavy-duty stuff for a wee 4 year-old to contemplate and dread. I understand that death needs to be addressed since it is a natural occurrence, but I feel at 4 and 5 years of age, it is a bit tough to handle.

Looking at my beautiful boy's teary eyes and hearing his whimpering and shaking voice just breaks my heart. But I always answer him with, "Someday, baby; but, I hope not until you are big." He always replies with, "I am going to miss you."And he continues to whimper, I give him a big squeeze and try to lighten his mood up. It is really tough and pulls at my heart strings. Telling him lies would help alleviate his anxiety, but I don't know whether I should lie to him and hope that that doesn't bite me on the behind. Eh, I would be gone and his dad would have to handle that... hahaha. No, but seriously, it hurts my heart that he worries so much. Love my cuddle bug so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment